Friday, March 26, 2010

Women and Stress Management

At some point a 70-hour workweek became the minimum standard, not only to get ahead but also often just to keep up. In my previous position as a COO, I never left work even after I’d left the office. Regarding that job, I don’t know from hours and I was not attempting to establish my career so I can only imagine the pressure that is placed upon anyone attempting to establish themselves. Of course with today’s current economic situation and job market, establishing a career may be a dream versus simply gaining viable employment.
As women we’re often breadwinners and the main caretakers. We all know how difficult this balancing act can be and the enormous stress that is placed upon us. Anyone currently seeking employment will tell you that alone is a full-time job and the stress can be doubled in this situation.
It is essential for us to take care of ourselves and reducing the stressors in our lives is an achievable goal. In order to reduce our daily stress, surprise, even this takes work and planning. But the end results are well worth it.
  • Start with getting enough rest. Our bodies and minds don’t function at full speed without it. I have first hand knowledge of this. ;-)
  • Organize your day, as you would if you were employed. You still have doctor’s appointments, grocery shopping and general household management to contend with. How did manage to accomplish these tasks while you were employed?
  • Exercise! No, I’m not a huge fan of “conventional” exercise and you’ll never find me in a gym but I know the benefits of remaining physically active. Plus, physical activity is still FREE! For those that enjoy “conventional” exercise, many communities are now offering FREE classes; take look in your local newspaper.
  • Give your body proper fuel. Learn healthy eating habits. When I was working a 70-80 hour week, I was on a first name basis with the owner’s of every take-out joint in my area. This was convenient but unhealthy for my body and my wallet. Home cooked meals are indeed healthier and far less expensive. Trifecta – Savings, Health and new hobby?
  • Take time for yourself. Read a book (the library is still FREE), listen to music or go lock yourself in a room if you need to.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment