Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Are we stereotyping ourselves?

Last week, I received a phone call from a girlfriend who holds the position of CEO at a relatively decent sized company. She had called to vent about woman-to-woman jealousies within her office and how she feels that she is perceived as having “Queen Bee Syndrome.” During our conversation, I took a very supportive stance. But our conversation really got me thinking about stereotypes of women in the workplace.
I sought out to find the male perspective and found that the majority of men, which I spoke with, believe the typical stereotypes that women are catty, less efficient and the worst, that women in positions of authority are generally bitchy. I’ve spent a good portion of my career in “male dominated” industries. If we are catty, less efficient and bitchy, I wonder what the terminology is for those same male behaviors.
As women we need to stop using stereotypical terminologies if we expect men to stop perceiving us this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment